Friday, June 28, 2013

Auckland - June 28, 2013


I spent the day on Waiheke Island (why hee kee).  I took a ferry from Auckland over to the island, which is quite close.  It only took about a half an hour to get there.  At one point the island is only 5km off the coast of the North Island.  Here are some pictures from the ferry ride:




Philippa, the travel agent in the lobby of the hotel, booked a deal for me that included the ferry and a bus tour of the Island.   I am really glad that I had the bus tour, because if I had just walked off the ferry onto the island I would have had no idea what to do or where to go.  But the Bus tour showed us the main parts of the island.  The driver/tour guide was really great.  He is originally from Germany.  The geeky voice/theater speech teacher in me was fascinated by his accent.  It was definitely German but it did sound very New Zealand at times.




I spent quite a lot of time at Onetangi Beach (oh neh tayn gee).   I walked the length of it (about a mile),

climbed this tree and played on the swing,





 collected some pretty amazing seashells,

sat and ate lunch, prayed and meditated on these rocks.

The weather was so much better and warmer today than yesterday.  I even took off my coat for an hour or so after climbing these stairs.


At the top, looking down to the beach.

It was so lovely and peaceful.  Even the seagulls!  At other beaches as soon as you pull out your lunch the seagulls gather to scavenge or steal your lunch.  But the seagulls here just went about their own business and left me to mine.


The view of the sunset just before leaving the island.  It was a beautiful day.  

There was another girl traveling alone on our bus tour.  She was also from Germany.  I had the thought to invite her to join me at Onetangi Beach at the end of the tour, but didn't.  I'm not sure why, but wish that I had.  She was a lovely girl with a really beautiful countenance.  You could tell she had a beautiful heart and soul.  My loss.  I could have made a new friend, but instead, I spent the day alone.  It was still a lovely day, but I often thought of Katia and hoped that I would run into her again and have a second chance.  So the lesson I learned today is: listen to that voice inside telling you to open your heart and connect with people.  You can do it.  Being shy is really just self directed and prideful.   It parades as the innocent protection from others but is really just protecting yourself from you - from making a fool of yourself.  The truth is that if you approach people with an open and loving heart, especially people who also have open and giving hearts, there is nothing to fear.  There is nothing to lose and so much to gain.  I couldn't help but feel a little like the man in this video today: Your Potential, Your Privileges 

I think if I had been ever so slightly more bold, this day (while still amazing), could have been so much more.  Climbing that tree and playing on the swing would have been so much more fun with another person.  I have come a long way from that little Christy who would hide behind my mother and cling to her knees.  I have faith that the goodness in my heart will continue to grow and one day overpower that fear that steals my opportunities for even greater joy.  Maybe that day will be tomorrow...











No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly