This morning I sang for 550 voice teachers from 28 countries. Mary Saunders-Barton who has been one of my voice teachers and advisor at Penn State, was the Keynote Speaker
that opened the International Voice Teachers Congress here in Brisbane. As part of her presentation she had me sing. When I first realized, a couple of months
ago, that I was going to be singing for 500 voice teachers from all over the
world I was very intimidated. I can’t
think of a more critical audience to sing for.
But I realized about a month ago that I was never going to impress them all with my vocal skills, but I can move them and hopefully touch their hearts. I have been praying to be calm so that I could have an open heart that would allow me to invite and include them in my experience rather than make them an enemy that I have to impress and conquer. I really felt like God heard that prayer and blessed me with peace. I really wasn't nervous. It was also a blessing that the presentation was on a stage, so I felt like that made it easier to think about the stories of these songs and not about who was in the audience.
I think the biggest triumph is that Mary said to me
after two of the 4 songs that I sang that she was really impressed with my
interpretation. This is HUGE! She is always pushing me to go further.
But mostly I am just grateful for the opportunity. It has helped me to draw closer to the Lord
as I sought help and direction in how to use the gifts and talents He has given
me in this setting.
The conference was fascinating. I learned so much and the geeky voice teacher in me is so excited to be around others who speak my lingo and are as passionate about it as I am.
I realized today, that I have now sung on 3 of the 4
quarters of the earth. I
sang in the north east quarter on my mission, I have now sung in the south east
quarter and I live in the north west and have done lots of singing there. I just need to sing in the south western quarter and I can say that I have sung all over the world.
Anyway, it was a great day.
I feel very blessed.
Some pictures from the presentation...
During the lunch break...



No comments:
Post a Comment