I went on an expedition to the Great Barrier Reef
today. It was good. I saw whales and giant clams. It is pretty amazing all that lives in the
sea floor.
I considered going scuba diving. They had dive instructors that would take you
on a first dive. I changed my mind
though after reading the forms that ask about your health, tell you that you
dive at your own risk, that your machinery may disfunction, and that you have to pressurize your ears every meter you
go down. I decided that it would
probably be a good idea for me to actually get certified in a swimming pool
first.
Then I got out into the water and attempted to snorkel and
knew that I had made a good choice because I was having a hard time breathing
through my mouth and relaxing. I got it
though. I remembered my experience in
Cancun. I knew I would love it if I
could just relax and get my face in the water and start swimming. Seriously, that is the key to snorkeling. Just stick your face in the water and start
paddling. So, I was standing there very awkwardly
in my fins in quite shallow water and I stuck my face down in the water and
there was a little fish right at my feet that was florescent pink and
white. It was amazing! I had florescent pink fins on my feet and
there it was swimming around me and it was the same color, naturally. Well, it took me a while even after that to
just relax, partly because I was in such shallow water. I was so afraid of cutting myself on the
coral. I wanted to get out where it was
deeper and where many of the others were, but I wasn’t trusting myself as a
swimmer. Then they called us in for
lunch.
After lunch I went back out and was determined to have my
Great Barrier Reef experience. I wasn’t
going to let fear overcome me. So, I put
my fins on and looked out to where I wanted to go - where the water was deeper,
put my face in the water, started kicking my fins and concentrated on long deep
breaths. In a few minutes I was in a
rhythm and seeing some pretty amazing things.
I came up to see where I was in relationship to the beach and I was
further out than anyone else. It was so
easy. I think my favorite thing that I
saw were the giant clams. Those things
are amazing!
I was just really getting the hang of it and feeling
confident about my swimming when they called us back to the boat to head
back to Cairns. Part of me wishes that I could go
again tomorrow, now that I have the knack of it.
I didn't really connect with any of the other people on the tour today. That makes me sad. I am learning that seeing cool things is great, but what makes a vacation and I guess, ultimately, life really amazing are not the things that we see, but the people we have experiences with. It sort of seems to be theme of this trip. I guess that becomes blatantly more apparent when you travel alone and have to work harder to have meaningful human interaction.
Tomorrow I fly to Sydney.
I am glad that it is my last leg. As amazing as this trip has been I miss my family, my bed and my kitchen.
On the boat out to the reef. It was a little bright...
The conquering snorkeler!
I'm not kidding that little fish was that same color of pink!
No comments:
Post a Comment