There really is not much to tell about today. I got up packed all my stuff up and checked
out of my hotel. I left my larger bags
at the front desk of the hotel while I walked into the center of town to send a
post card to my Grandpa. I looked around
at a couple of other shops and then walked back to my hotel. Grumpy’s came to pick me up and take me to
the airport, but the driver was a new driver, not Pam or Grumpy. The weather in Rotorua was rainy and foggy
which was causing problems at the airport.
My flight was suspended when I got there and they wouldn’t let me check
in. A few minutes later it was announced
that my flight was cancelled. I went to
the check in counter to see what I should do.
They told me that they could put me on a bus that would take me to
another airport that was about an hour away and I could board a plane there
that would take me to Wellington. So I
got on the bus and fell asleep and arrived at whatever town it was, got on the
airplane and landed in Wellington. I sat
next to an Irishman on the plane. He is
married to a Kiwi and has lived in Wellington for 5 years. He was also on the bus from Rotorua. He was a very nice fellow, but seemed a bit
nervous during the decent into Wellington.
He said that it was usually pretty bumpy. He was sitting there closing his eyes so I
started to ask him some more questions about his family. I got him talking about his son who is 12
months old. I was just trying to get his
mind off of the turbulents.
I got my luggage and found the bus that goes into town. I had to aske the driver if the bus stopped
near my hotel and it did and even though I would have to walk a bit, I decided
$9 was a lot better than whatever a taxi would cost even if it did take
directly to my hotel. And it was, the
walk to my hotel was not bad at all. I
was, again, given a small carton of milk when I checked in. I don’t get it…
I dropped my stuff off in my room and went out to find some
food. My hotel is very near an area
called the Cuba Mall. It is a street that
has a lot of boutique shops and restuarants.
So far my impression of Wellington is some cross between San Francisco
and the Village in NYC. I walked up and
down the Cuba Mall and looked at lots of restaurants and shops. Most of the shops were closed. I finally decided to go into the Flying
Burrito Brothers or something like that – Mexican. I was craving Mexican earlier today and while
my first thought was, “Christy, you know you are not going to get good Mexican
in New Zealand. You can’t even get good
Mexican in NYC.” But I stopped to look
at the menu and while it didn’t look like authentic Mexican it looked like very
interesting Mexican. So I went in and
ordered. They did mark the Gluten Free
options on the menu and I was a little disappointed that only one of the main
courses was gluten free and it was also the vegetarian option. But I ordered the vegetarian tostada and the
fish tacos which were supposedly an appetizer.
I figured that I would have enough food for 2 meals that way. Well, I was right. I did not get authentic Mexican food, but I
got something that was absolutely delicious!
Whew! It was so good! Wellington is supposed to be a good place for
foodies and now I can see why. I can’t
decide if I just want to keep going back to the burrito place or try someplace
else.
No pictures today...sorry. I know that's what you are looking for. No one really reads what I write. The pictures are what is interesting.
Oh, I forgot. I did take this picture at the Wellington Airport.
Of all the LOTR things things they could have put in the airport did they have to choose creepy Gollum? And I know that it was filmed and made in NZ but it is set in England and meant to be English Folklore. Ok. I just had to put that reminder out there. I still think New Zealand is cool!
Oh, I forgot. I did take this picture at the Wellington Airport.
Of all the LOTR things things they could have put in the airport did they have to choose creepy Gollum? And I know that it was filmed and made in NZ but it is set in England and meant to be English Folklore. Ok. I just had to put that reminder out there. I still think New Zealand is cool!
No comments:
Post a Comment