We went to the Globe Theatre today - the reconstructed home
of many of Shakespeare’s plays. It was
insanely busy there, my feet still hurt from going to Hampton Court and I am
exhausted, so I didn’t stay long. I saw
most of what was at the theatre, but I didn’t stay to see all of the shops and
things in the neighborhood.
A view of St. Paul's Cathedral from the east side of the Thames.
In the
afternoon we had a guest speaker, David Abbel who is a conductor here in
London. He is the guy in the orchestra
pit waving his arms. It was really
interesting to hear about the things that he is working on right now and his
journey to the position he is in.
This evening we saw Long
Day’s Journey into Night by Eugene O’Neil - a right depressing show. 20th Century drama is just not my
cup o’ tea. I would so much rather see
spazzy children and adults belting their guts out rather than see a family of alcoholics
and drug addicts talk in circles about their dysfunctional relationships as
they self destruct. But I seem to be the
only one of our group that feels that way.
Everyone else loved it. It did
make me think about my own family and feel immensely grateful that I come from
a family of faithful Christians who follow the word of wisdom. Maybe that’s why others love it so much, because
they have had similar experiences. I am
grateful that I have not.
So my sister sent me an email commenting that this is called
a semester abroad but seems like a vacation.
She is quite right in some respects.
We spend as much time, if not more, seeing the sights as we do in
class. In fact, the designers are never
in class, while us poor blokes are in class they are going to other museums and
sights. Let me clarify slightly the
purpose of our time here. The Dean of
the School of Theater makes it clear that he wants to bridge the economic gap
between those that are born “with a silver spoon in their mouths” and those who
are not. So we are provided with this
opportunity with the theory that we are gaining life experience and seeing the
world, which helps us to be better artists.
The designers always have a sketch pad with them. The day before we went to Hampton Court we
learned a dance that would have been done in Henry VIII’s court, discussed the
clothing of the day, the medicine, transportation etc. so that when we were
there we would have a clear idea of what it was like there with the idea that
we then carry all of that information with us onto the stage when we do a show
like Shakespeare’s Henry VIII. In addition, most of my other classmates are
here doing a research project as well.
They have to choose a historic person (not currently living) and
research their lives: where they lived, worked etc. and turn in a project that
includes some writing and pictures and whatever else they can hunt down while
they are here. Thankfully, I have a
project of considerably less work that I have been assigned while I am here. I
have to come home each night and write about the vocal work that I heard in
each show, even the non-musicals. I also
have a bit of work for my speech class – we are memorizing and analyzing Shakespearean
sonnets. So yes, I am not complaining
about the fact that I am actually really a tourist in London, but I am a
tourist that does have to do some homework.
No comments:
Post a Comment