Today we had a workshop with Cicely Barry, who is quite
famous among actors in England. She is a
voice coach and is considered one of the foremost authorities on
Shakespeare. She is also quite old and a
little foul-mouthed. It was a little
funny to have this hunched over, really old lady dropping f-bombs everywhere. But her language set aside, it was a great
way to get into Shakespeare’s language and start to feel it and understand
it.
After lunch we went to a matinee performance of Richard
III. It was brilliantly done. I generally get sleepy during Shakespeare’s
history plays, but there was no sleeping in this one. It was even funny at times. Then at the end there was this massive battle
seen where they were all on stage fighting with broad swords and in the end of
the battle there were only two left fighting and their swords were making
sparks when they hit. It was pretty
impressive!
We got back to London at about 8 PM and now I am doing
laundry and wishing that somehow I could have fit a few more underclothes into
my suitcase. Oh well, I think the truth
about laundry is that when it really comes to it – no matter how many
underclothes you own, you still always wish you had a few more so that you
could put off doing laundry.
No comments:
Post a Comment