Monday, May 28, 2012

London: Day 14 (May 26, 2012)


Today we slept in a little, got up, dressed and Pete cooked us an English breakfast of sausages, bacon, eggs and toast.  It was delicious.  Actually, I can’t eat the English sausages, which are apparently really good – they all have bread crumbs in them.  But the eggs, bacon and toast were wonderful (I brought some gluten free bread with me).

Alex and I took a little walk with the dogs and I wish that I had brought my camera.  It was so beautiful and we ran into one of her neighbors driving a little wagon pulled by a Shetland pony.  But alas, those pictures shall remain forever only in my head.

Afterwards we got on cycles (or bikes, as we call them in America) and cycled down into town and on the coast.   There was a little food festival going on, but it was much smaller than the advertisement led us to believe, so we didn’t stay long.  It was a glorious bike ride, though.  It was a beautiful warm and sunny day, but not hot, just warm.  There was a great sea breeze and it was mostly down hill.

This is along the way.  The castle in the background is one of 3 (I think...) castles on the island.


Both Alex and Pete said that they have the 2nd largest tide in the world. 

When we turned to go back, the first part was mostly flat but now we were cycling into that strong sea breeze that had pushed on our way before.  It made a big difference to my unexercised legs and lungs.  But I made it to the car show that was also happening in Jersey this weekend.  We walked around the car show and picked out our favorite cars.  I chose I vintage Jaguar in yellow.  I can’t remember what year it was, but mostly I liked the yellow color.

Alex had to go call into a meeting for the Nauvoo Pageant so Pete and I cycled to Gourey Castle.  This is different from the castle in the picture above.  This was quite a long cycle for a girl who never cycles, again into the wind, but not too bad as far as hills go.  I was cycling as hard as I could and poor Pete had to keep looking back and slowing down so that he could at least still see me.  We stopped once for a few minutes at a great picture spot, which was great because I was ready for a rest.  Then we continued on to the castle.  When we got to the castle Pete said that we cycled around about half of the Island. 


 Gourey Castle in the background.


The view of the castle grounds from the top terrace.



 The view of Jersey from the top terrace - looking away from the ocean.
The view from the top terrace - looking out to the ocean.


 Inside the castle on one of the narrow spiral staircases.

The castle is a medieval castle and was quite fascinating.  Different than Hampton Court, older and more rough seeming, crude maybe a good word for it.  From the top of the castle you can see a large part of Jersey Island, from one side and from the other side you can see the coast of Normandy, France.  We are only 10 miles off the coast of France.  You pay to get into the castle but then you just go where you want so it was a lovely little jaunt through the castle.

After seeing the castle we were all starving because all we had eaten for lunch was a bit of Jersey cream ice cream.  Thankfully, I didn’t have to cycle home because it would have been all up hill and I was exhausted from the cycling I had done already.  Alex cycled home after her meeting, got the car and met us at the castle.  We through the bikes in the back and drove home.

After dinner we went to the home of some of the other church members and watched a show called Eurovision Song Contest.  It is an annual event where all the countries of Europe send a representative to this song competition and then Europe votes for a winner.  The winning country hosts the competition next year.  There are some rules though.  I’m not sure what they are, but it seems to be that they can’t be professionals.  Anyway, it was a really interesting look into European pop culture.  Sweden won, if you are wondering.

It was a fantastic day!  Exactly what I needed.  And that bike ride was a great preparation for Southern France. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly