Sunday, May 20, 2012

London: Day 8 (May 20, 2012)


I went to church with Darren today and it was wonderful.  I love that I can go to church in Huddersfield England and aside from a few dialect things feel that it is all so familiar and feel so much at home.  Church was great.  I started to write down the British phrases that made me smile.  It really is amazing.  I understand what they are saying, but it really is in some ways a different language.  I was also enjoying hearing the Yorkshire (properly pronounced “Yourkshur”) accent, it is different than what I have been hearing in London.  They sound like the servants on Downton Abbey, if you have seen that TV Series.  Here are a few phrases that I wrote down:
            I have a massive testimony…
            Give a cuddle (or a hug)
            Just have a week think on it and get back to me
            She’s completely horrendous!
            I completely get to the end of my tether.
            …needed to repent each day for bits and bobs.

After church we drove to Castle Hill for a quick look at the valley.  There once was a Medieval Castle on the hill, it no longer stands but you can still see the well and how the structure was laid out (the placard with the explanation and drawings is also very helpful).  There is a stone tower there now that was built in the Victorian era and is called the Victoria Tower.  Darren called it a folly, because it isn’t really anything, just an empty building to honor the queen.   But the view from the hill was amazing.





Daisies grow wild in England right along side the dandelions.




Afterwards we grabbed something to eat and rushed to the bus station.  Thankfully the bus was running late, because so were we.  But I got home with out a glitch (except that I almost left my bag on the bus when transferring to the train, but I didn’t) and I even got from the train station home with out getting lost all by myself.

So, if you ever have the opportunity to go to Huddersfield, England, GO!  It is amazing.  I loved it!  I would gladly go again.  Thanks Darren!




Just FYI:  May 20th is Eliza Doolittle Day.  In Just you Wait she sings, "Next week on the twentieth of May, I proclaim Liza Doolittle Day!" So Happy Eliza Doolittle Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly