I had a train ticket to go to Huddersfield today to spend
the weekend with my friend, Darren, but I missed the train… I mistakenly assumed that it would only take
45 minutes to get to the train station, it ddidn’t look that far on my map. And I mistakenly assumed that because I have
lived in NYC getting around on the London Underground wouldn’t be that
complicated. I was wrong on all accounts. And to top it off I had looked at my return
ticket and not my departure ticket and so was aiming for the wrong time to
begin with. Yes, it was quite a messy
affair. I did however manage to not cry
in the middle of King’s Cross Station when I realized that I had missed my
train, there was not another one leaving for that destination tonight, I had
gotten lost on the way to the train station, had no idea how to get home, and I
was a stranger in a strange land, standing in a very busy train station having
no idea what to do next. I blinked really
fast and took a few deep breaths and told myself that all of those things may
be true, but I am a intelligent woman and can figure this out. And I did.
There were some trains going to Leeds which is 15 miles from
Huddersfield but because it was rush hour on Friday, it would cost me £124. The ticket I had already bought was only £9. And then with the conversion to dollars I
really felt there was no way that I should pay for that. So, I found my way home on the first attempt
(you should be impressed) and got on-line to figure out if my return ticket was
void and if it was possible to travel in the morning.
So, I will not be able to go to the Lake Country or the
Preston Temple after all. But I will be
able to see my friend Darren and watch the show that he is doing tomorrow
night.
A couple of interesting things from today: The London Underground is 100% cleaner than
the NYC subway system, so if I had to choose which one I would prefer getting
lost in, I would choose London. I didn’t
see any rats, dripping water, or rubbish (that’s British for trash). I wasn’t worried about setting my bag down on
the platform while waiting for the train.
And I am pretty sure (99.99%) that I saw Victoria Hamilton on the train
home. She is a British actress that you
would know from the original Persuasion movie (1995) as Henrietta Musgrove and
more recently in the BBC television series of Larkrise to Candleford as Ruby
Pratt. I was trying not to stare at her
and yet still get a good look to be sure.
But I am pretty sure. I had no
idea what her name was, and couldn’t remember either of those character names
or I might have asked her. But because
of my mushy brain that cannot get me to the train on time or remember random
actor and character names, she sat undisturbed on the London Underground.
Oh, Christy! You certainly are an intelligent woman and I am so proud of you for keeping your wits about you despite the harrowing experience. How awful. Not only the most stressful situation ever, but also I know you wanted to go to the Preston temple and Lake Country so badly.
ReplyDeleteHave you been able to go to church there yet? That would not quite be the same as the temple but would feel like home away from home. . .