Thursday, June 21, 2012

France Day 1: Bayeux (June 17, 2012)


I am in France!  We got up at about 5AM this morning.  Put some clothes on and brushed our teeth and got in a cab that took us to the pier.  We were quite early, but we didn’t know what to expect and so we made sure that we had plenty of time to spare in case something went wrong.

We got on the ferry and stood on deck taking pictures as we left the harbor at Poole.  Here are some examples of the beautiful landscape we passed.  This was a great way to travel from England to France.




We took a train from Cherbourg to Bayeux. One thing that I noticed about the French that endeared me to them right away is that at each station there were families bidding farewell to loved ones.  At Cherbourg there was an older couple with the wife leaving she was standing on the train in the door and her husband was standing on the platform waiting for her to leave.  At another station a husband and wife stood on the platform saying goodbye to their daughter.  The dad came right up to the train window.  It was really cute.

We arrived in Bayeux, climbed the flight of stairs to our room with all our luggage, opened the door looked around for a moment, decided who gets the big bed and then promptly crashed on the beds and fell asleep.  I think we slept for a couple of hours and then we showered and walked around Bayeux and got something to eat.

Bayeux is the most quaint and picturesque town I have ever seen.  I just kept taking pictures of everything I saw.  It is quiet and slow paced.  Just Delightful!  There is a large gothic cathedral in the center of town and it was open so we went inside and looked around.  The stained glass windows were beautiful.  The colors are so rich and vibrant.





We came back to our room and spent about an hour looking at pictures we have taken.  Angela has challenged me to a picture taking contest of our trip.  We both have some really great possibilities at this point.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly