Angela and I had a lovely day today. In the morning she went to the National
Portrait Gallery while I did some organizational stuff at my flat to just
finish off my term. Then we met up had
some sandwiches in Trafalgar Square and then when to the Tower of London. We had a great time there learning about the
early Kings of England who built the complex.
I thought it would just be one building that was a tower that served as
a prison, but it is actually a complex of buildings some of which are lodgings
for monarchs. It is here that the royal
family puts the crown jewels on display and all of the other regalia (which
means the orb, the scepter, the sword – all of which are items used at a
coronation symbolizing the monarch’s power).
We also saw a lot of gold items that are used during the ceremony and
used to be used at the coronation banquet.
I saw a huge gold punch bowl. Not
only was it gold but is was so big you could almost take a bath in it! I am
sure I will never again see a golden punch bowl or a punch bowl that big.
We probably would have stayed longer at the Tower of London
but it was closing and they were kicking everyone out. But we did enjoy our time there.
Then we grabbed some dinner and went to see Les
Miserables. At intermission I looked at
Angela who was wiping tears away and said, “I love this show! I forgot how much I love this show.” And when the show was over I turned to her
again and said, “Well that was the perfect way to end a month of seeing
theater.” It was a great show to end my
experience on. It actually is very
poetic because it was also the first professional show I ever saw.
No comments:
Post a Comment