I know this looks really long but it is a good story so keep reading....
I went to the
temple today. It actually is a pretty amazing story. I have not
been to the temple since the first week of March. I have tried and failed twice to get to the
temples here in England. Then today I finally actually got to the temple
and realized that I forgot my recommend. I wasn't even going to go in and
ask because of the time zone difference - they couldn't call my stake president
it was like 6 AM. And then I think my records got sent back to my
parents' ward and the bishop doesn't really know me there. The recommend was
issued from my Midvale Stake, and my branch president in PA was released right
before I left and I don't know if the new one knows me. He certainly has
never interviewed me and I can’t remember his name. So I sat there
thinking, “Well, I just sit here for a while and then go home.” But then
I decided to just go and ask. I realized
that part of the reason why I didn’t want to ask was because I was
embarrassed. Here I am this lone woman
from America, traveling alone and I can’t remember to bring my temple
recommend. It was being single and
American that made me most self-conscious.
But as I sat there I thought: “It can’t hurt to ask. The worst thing that can happen is that they
will very kindly tell you that you can’t come in. But if you don’t ask then you won’t get to go
in. How sad for you to just sit here
because you were embarrassed to admit out loud that you forgot your recommend when
if you only asked you might actually be able to go in. Maybe now that
they have the bar codes on them they can get my records.” So I walked
into the temple and confessed that I forgot my recommend. The brethren
that helped me were so kind and reassuring. And of course the end of this story
is that I was able to go in and do a session and it was so amazing. I
walked in to the celestial room and my breath was taken away by how beautiful
it is. I have seen all of these castles and museums and wonderful places
but this is by far the most beautiful place I have seen on my travels. I
sat down and started to cry because I realized that unlike the palaces of
earthly kings, the palace of my Heavenly King is a place where I am most
welcome. There are probably rooms in Buckingham Palace that are as
beautiful physically, but I am not allowed to go there. And even if I
were invited inside I would not feel like I belonged there. However, this
palace felt like home to me. I belong there and I am oh so welcome to be
there. I am so grateful that I asked if
I could go inside even though I forgot my recommend. It was a testimony
to me that if we want to go into the Lord's palace He will open the door to
those that knock.
Hooray! I was so glad to hear that you were able to get to the temple after such discouraging prior attempts. What a wonderful journey you are on. Keep writing, it's so exciting to read! :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful experience. I am so grateful for answered prayers and for home away from home at the temple. Thanks for telling us about it!
ReplyDelete